ability to buy time in a conversation need not only to politics.For those who just started to learn a foreign language?it is also very important, and here come to the aid of the word-fillers, as well as expressions that will fill the silence and ponder your next statement.Do not be afraid formulaic phrases - our language is one of them.
useful English expressions: fill a pause
- Well - analog of our "good" or "well".Only "well" is not causative sense, "Come on!" - In this sense we use it at the end, but the beginning of the phrase - when we need to "buy time."For example: «Well, tell me more about your plans».- "Well, tell me more about your plans."Another translation of this word - "in any case."For example: «Well, I am not good so good speaker».- "Anyway, I'm not such a good speaker."
- Anyway - translations are the same as for the well, but the use anyway typical of the people from the United States.Example: «Anyway, John divorced» - «In general, John divorced."
- As far as - with regard to respect regarding how and others. For example: «As far as I remember you are planning to leave that job».- "I understand that you're going to leave this job."
- By the way, or the popular social networking option for reducing this phrase - btw.Is translated as "the way", "the way."For example: «By the way, my boyfriend also likes motorcycling».- "By the way, my boyfriend loves motorcycles."
These robust expression in the English language are common to them should spend their time in the first place.
Building a coherent sentences
These conversational phrases in English will not only dilute the text, but it is logical to build your story:
- First of all - first of all.For example, First of all I'd pefer you to tell me about your childhood.- First of all, I would prefer you to tell me about your childhood.
- What's more - in addition, more than that, and ... For example: And what's more, your son fail his exam.- And besides, your son failed the exams.
- After all - finally, in the end, because, after all, be that as it may, too.For example: She made a right choice after all.- Still, she made the right choice.
- Moreover - more.For example: Moreover, I do not believe him.- Moreover, I do not believe him.
As without any time-consuming to learn English for travel?Phrasebook hard to find, but how best to work with him?Suffice it to remember a few formulaic phrases, single words that can be easily replaced or used in other sentences - and you will have a good active vocabulary.
example: I do not understand English.- I do not understand English.
add a short word well (well).
I do not understand English well.- I do not understand well in English.Instead of simply
well you can use a popular expression very well (very good).We get:
I do not understand English very well.- I do not understand very well in English.
examining these examples you will have already realized that «I do not» means "I", and instead understand you can substitute any verb in the initial form of a dictionary.Of course, it is desirable to know that «I do not» - is "I do not" just for the present, that is, it can be used only say "I do", but you can not say "I did not do."But it's easy enough, you can specify via a quality handbook on grammar.In order to navigate the travel, it is important to have a good vocabulary and grammar wait.Mistakes you just.Set clear and useful phrases you really very convenient to carry, analyzing proposals for the scheme above.For example, try to play with the following phrases.Each of them will come in handy when traveling:
How can I (How can I) get to the airport (to get to the airport)?
(verb yavlyaetsyay get one of the most consumed, its basic meaning "to receive").
May I (Can I) pay by credit card (pay by credit card)?
(This word predolzhenii credit card it is possible to replace short little cash - cash).
Could you (could you) help me a little (to help me a little)?
(similarly. Word help very easily be replaced by another verb).
Where is (Where there is / are) the supermarket (the supermarket)?
Take a good look at the first part of these proposals (can I, how can I, where there is, etc.).Using them, you can easily learn conversational English for tourists.Phrases such as these can be:
Could you tell me ....- Could you tell me ...
Where is the ticket office / shop / hospital?- Where is the office / store / hospital?
May I come in / help you / ask you / have another pastry?- Can I enter / help you / ask you / take another cake?(The word may have a shade resolution "can", "enable").
most common expressions and phrases
The following conversational phrases in English it is impossible to ignore, that they can be found in everyday life, in every film or literary work.They are repeated so often that it is impossible not to remember.All of them are quite common, they can be used in a variety of situations.So:
- What's the matter?- What's the matter?
- Cool!- Cool!This word is almost a parasite, so often it occurs.However, there is a simple way to express my admiration or approval.
- Very well.- Very good.One of the most popular ways to show their approval.
- Calm down.- Calm down.A similar within the meaning of the popular expression - Do not worry.- Do not worry.
Familiar textbooks and English language courses, usually give a good knowledge of grammar and vocabulary can extend, but with their help it is impossible to learn conversational phrases in English.Therefore it is necessary to give them special attention, because they are for most students the main difficulty when traveling in English-speaking countries.Studying popular colloquialisms should immediately understand whether they belong to the formal language, informal or slang.Consider examples:
first, where to start - this is the question, "How are you?»
"How are you?"- It has a fairly formal tone.It is not so much a question of "How are you?" As an expression of attention, salute and a way to start a conversation.The standard response to this expression with which you can never go wrong, as if any were really about you: I'm fine, thank you.There are other options, it is best to start them with the «I'm» (I'm good / very well).Answers such as "so-so» (So-so or Fifty-fifty) will be accepted as your desire to continue the conversation and are no longer so formal.
For the following three phrases are examples of direct translation, but the general sense they have one - "How are you?" They are more at ease than «How are you?»
"How're you doing?"- "How are you doing right now?»
"How's it going?"- "How's it going?»
"How's everything?"- "How it all?»
"How is life?"- "How are you?»
«How are things?» - «As things?»
Another popular way to ask "How are you?" - A well-known expression «What's up?» Literally, it translates "What's new?" This phraseIt is informal and is well suited for communicating with friends.
How to express gratitude and to end the call
It is necessary for anyone who wants to learn English for travel.Phrasebook almost any author offers this option - «Thank you».But more often you can hear «Thanks».Also, you can say "Cheers" or "Ta" (especially in the UK).
"Have a nice day!"- "A great day!"This phrase, you can end the conversation, writing, speaking chat.It is perfectly suited for communicating with strangers.You can also use a more informal expression, for example, "take care" (take care of yourself, look at the two), "see ya!"(In the classical writing «see you», which means "see you later").
reduction in spoken English is often used:
- gonna instead of going to (going to do l.);
- wanna instead of want to (want to);
- shoulda instead shoud have («should have done," after shoulda need to use the past participle);
- coulda instead could have («could", after coulda used as the past participle).
Now these English conversational phrases with translations in the examples:
I wanna be a model.- I want to be a model.
You shoulda been there yesterday.- You should have been there yesterday.
I'm gonna visit Prague.- I'm going to visit Prague.
You coulda helped me.- You could help me.
Popular English expressions to maintain conversations
How to agree or object to communicate their views or express their attitude to the subject?
Let's start with the most simple: really?This very brief question, which is translated as "Really?" The other party will understand that you are putting into question what he says, waiting for clarifications and are ready to listen to him again.You are right / wrong will clearly express their opinion (you are right / wrong).To start your idea enough to say: I suppose ... - I suppose .... To agree or disagree with someone: I (do not) agree with you.- I (do not) agree with you.
Tips for quick learning English
How to teach conversational phrases in English?The most important thing for those who are going on a journey - a skill hearing.Put aside the textbooks.Of the four skills that characterize the knowledge of English language - listening, reading, grammar and speaking - it is important to you first.By training your ability to understand speech by ear, you are ready to speak well.Remember how children learn to speak.First - an understanding that is a passive process, then - speaking.Therefore, as much as possible listen.This can be a dialogue in English, the conversation between other people, cinema, radio, talk shows and so on.Do not just watch movies and spend working.It is advisable to watch movies with subtitles.Write stable expression in the English language that are found in the movie.Analyze them, check their meaning in the dictionary.Then watch the film relaxed, paying attention to the other words.No matter what results you have achieved and whether you remembered anything.Go to the next movie and act in the same way.After a while, try to look into their records.You will be surprised that a lot is already clear to you and familiar.That's not particularly straining and enjoy, you will be able to gain a good vocabulary.