depth interview - this is nothing like an informal conversation, which takes place on a definite plan.Based on this interview using different kinds of techniques that can encourage respondents to the thorough and profound reflections on range of issues of interest to the researcher.
depth interviews involve receipt of the respondents did not fill the formal questionnaire, the answers are not as immediate issues.Typically, these interviews are conducted by experienced psychologists.Their main task - to understand what the respondent actually refers to the subject under discussion.
depth interview is carried out in a special room in person.At the same time there are no strangers, phone off, no external stimuli.In principle, these conditions can be changed.Sometimes in-depth interview conducted over the phone, but experts say that the conversation on the phone is a little effective.What is the reason?The first is that the telephone is virtually impossible to induce human absolutely frank conversation.
Also note that this interview is conducted in most cases only one person - a group so rarely interviewed.
time that lasts depth interview, is different.It can last thirty minutes and three hours.It all depends on the individual characteristics of the respondent, as well as the tasks of marketing research.
-depth interview in some cases, recorded on tape or camcorder.Recording can be further processed to explore it was convenient (pause and removed all unnecessary).Processed record called transcriptome.On the basis of written analytical report on the results of the marketing research.It should be noted that the video is used only when there is a need to explore non-verbal reactions of the respondents.
depth interview methods are different.Use them to achieve the following objectives:
- the study of how consumers actually refer to a particular product, the manufacturer, brand, and so on;
- drawing up a portrait of potential buyers and consumers;
- testing and verification of the effectiveness of various types of promotional materials;
- search for niches, and the development of new products;
- assessment of the popularity of existing products.
same tasks included in the list of tasks the study of focus groups.However, in-depth interview will be more effective focus group under the following circumstances:
- topic of discussion is complex, and it can reveal only people with specific, unique professional knowledge and skills;
- depth interview is very effective at that time.When there is a need to conduct a survey of competitors (competitors do not express their true attitude towards this or that problem in the normal course of the interview);
- this interview is very convenient when affected by any personal topics, intimate experiences and everything else that people are not accustomed to discuss with outsiders;
- it is convenient and when respondents are geographically distant from one another or small.As an example, a survey of officials of different regions;
- effectively it when you need to interview employees or influential people.The bottom line is that an expert psychologist, conducting in-depth interviews will be able to beat everything so that even long conversation seem easy, interesting and quite unobtrusive.
note that today such interviews are used frequently.Professionals who know how to hold them correctly, are very popular.