is put in front of you "or" the comma?The answer to this question can be found in the materials of this article.Additionally, you'll learn about whether to put a comma before the "what" and "how."
Surely you know that the Union is called the official part of the speech.Thanks to the formalized relationship between the individual proposals in the text, its parts or the same words.However, not everyone knows when to put the comma in front of them and when not to.In order to acquire this information, we represent to your attention a few basic rules.
When placed before "or" comma, and when not?
Union "or" is disjunctive.Sometimes it is preceded by a comma, and sometimes not.Consider two cases in more detail:
- Before "or" the comma is placed, if the Union has repeatedly repeated in simple sentences, which are combined into a single complex.Here is an example: "Either he or I!", "Or black, or white, or red", "disease or kill me or frost okostenit or forehead anything will fly."It should alsobe noted that this rule applies to not only the offers "or ... or".Commas are placed with such associations as "and", "il", "no" and so forth. For example: "And dizzy and sick, and the body much ache", "Neither the sun I can not see any clouds, no lightday. "
- Before "or" the comma is placed, if the union is used in a complex sentence, which bind two or more simple sentences.Here is an example: "Either you are tired because of the storm outside, or doze of daytime fatigue," "Let it moved into the village, or I get over here."It should also be noted that the same rule obey and conjunctions such as "and", "yes", "a", "yes, and", "or" and so forth. For example: "The sea roared, and the waves are strongly fought against the shore""Woodpecker stopped knocking, and other birds were silent," "Mom sat down on a bench outside the gate, and I went to the store."
- comma before the conjunction "or" is not put when connected by a proposal share a secondary member or clause.Here is an example: "Every day depart from the pier or the catamaran was sailing the boat."This rule is subject to the conjunction "and", "yes", "either."For example: "In the streets of moving cars and trucks raced."
- comma is not put, if the union is used to connect homogeneous terms of the proposals that are mutually exclusive.For example: "Today or tomorrow", "see whether it is or not."
Now you know where to "or" a comma and when not to.Presented rules will help you write a good letter or any text.
It should be noted that the problems with punctuation arise not only in the use of the conjunction "or", but when you use the word "what" and "how."Let us consider these cases in more detail.
When you should not put a comma before the "what"?
- comma before the "what" or after is not put when used in the phrase "... and only that," followed by a noun or pronoun.Here is an example: "Only and entertainment that the concert once a month", "Only money and that quarter in my pocket," "That's all that shirt on the body," "the talk about him one," "Just and the light thatthis box. "
- Before this word should not be a comma in cases when it is part of the irreducible sentences "in that no matter what", "what the hell" and so on. By the way, the expression "in addition to being" a comma and do not need.
- Before such a word does not need to put a comma, unless it is subordinating the union, which is in complex sentences, and is, for example, the relative particle.("Overhead, the sky that vast ocean").
- If this word is the last part of the Union, in front of him and does not require a comma.For example: "Due to the fact that there were heavy rains in the pine forest is full of mushrooms."
- comma is not put, if the word serves as the interrogative pronouns.For example: "What do I cook for dinner?", "What do I do if he did not come out on a date?"
When a comma is placed?
- If the first part of the proposal has a complex particle "only", the verb"know", "make", "make" and the Union "that", and the second part is always present any verb, before "what" should be a comma. Here is an example: "From five in the morning until the evening just know that sittinghere, "" With my grandmother, they just did what they baked pies ».
- comma before" that "it is necessary to set if the second part of the expression is the paranasal part of a complex sentence. Here is an example:" Only and new, that the brothers took counsel howthey bear to fill up "," Early in the morning it was felt that very soon the sun comes out ».
- comma put, if the" what "serves as a particles. Here is an example:" What you have each week is that? "" What,You always dress? ".
When should put a comma before the" how "?
Before the "how" comma 3-eh cases:
- If the Union is part of the expression, which in its role close to the opening words: as a rule, as a consequence, as an exception, as it is now asalways, as now, as if on purpose, like for example.Here is an example: "In the evening, as if on purpose, a blizzard started," "This usually does not happen very often," "He is, as always, late for a meeting."
- If all the parts of a complex sentence connected to data Union.Here is an example: "We have long watched as the water flows", "They have long watched the smoldering embers in the fire."
- If the proposal is present circumstance, which is expressed by the comparative turnover beginning with the union.Here is an example: "The boy's voice rang like a bell", "The girl sang like a nightingale."
important to remember!
If any proposal continues after the turnover with the union, then be sure to isolate it.For example, "He stared as the water flows, unable to break away from such a spectacle."
When you should not put a comma?
proposals with commas Union are not allocated in 5 cases:
- If the union in circulation is used as the circumstances of manner.Here is an example: "The track was writhing like a snake."In such cases, the turnover can be easily replaced in a similar dialect (a snake) or a noun, standing in the instrumental case (the snake).It should be noted that it is not always adverbial action confidently distinguishable from the circumstances of the comparison.In this connection there is a lot of errors.
- If the turnover with the word included in the idiom.For example: "During the dinner she was sitting on pins and needles."
- If the union is between subject and predicate, and without it would be required to put dashes.Here is an example: "The lake is like a mirror."
- If a word is a part of the main part of the sentence (predicate), and the proposal itself without it has no turnover of complete sense.Here is an example: "He is held as a host."
- If comparative turnover has previous denial "no" or one of the particles simply, absolutely, almost totally, like, namely, a hair's breadth.For example: "They do not like other", "His hair is curly hair's breadth as a father."
important to remember!
representation of the word can be used as an integral union "like ... well," "since" and revolutions "from the time that," "since," and so forth. In these cases, a comma should not be put.Here are some examples: "All the windows like a palace, and in ordinary homes are open", "He did not bring food and now greatly regret this, as he had wanted to have."