In the world there are many organizations that focuses its activities on the development of specific regions, thus serving the most positive purpose.These can be attributed to the Arctic Council, which, of course, is quite a vivid example of successful cooperation.
What is meant by the Arctic Council
In 1996, an international organization whose purpose is to develop cooperation in the Arctic.As a result, she received a logical name - the Arctic Council (AU).It consists of eight Arctic states: Canada, Russia, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Sweden, the USA and Finland.The board also involved six organizations that were formed indigenous population.
In 2013, the Arctic Council grant observer status to the six new countries: India, Italy, China, South Korea, Singapore and Japan.The number of observers has been expanded in order to promote the development of relations between the countries that have interests in the Arctic.
This change was made on the basis of the founding of the Declaration.This document implies the possibility of assigning the status of observer non-Arctic countries.
importance of programs aimed at sustainable development
It should be understood that the Arctic is one of those regions of the world where the protection of the environment, biodiversity, natural resources, does not lead to depletion, and maintaining the health of ecosystems as a whole is extremely important.The Arctic Council is aimed to ensure that these priorities remain the focus of attention.
In 2013, members of the Council have also signed an agreement, which obliges them to co-ordinate responses to incidents related to the pollution of the sea.Later it was realized another similar initiative, but in regard to search and rescue operations.
What is the essence of sustainable development programs
in any projects promoted by the Arctic Council, on a mandatory basis are taken into account the following priorities:
- work carried out council members, must have at its basis only reliable scientific evidence, prudent management and conservation of resources,traditional knowledge of indigenous and local communities.The key purpose of such activity - is the removal of a tangible benefit from innovation processes and knowledge are applied in the northern communities.
- continuous capacity building at all levels of society.
- Using sustainable development for future generations of the North advanced features.It is also an important economic activity that would be capable of creating human capital and wealth.Natural capital of the Arctic thus should be maintained.
- key focus is on projects that aim to strengthen local leadership and able to guarantee the specific regions and communities to the maximum benefit in the long run.
- activities of the Arctic Council should be organized so that the replenishment needs of the present generation does not jeopardize the wellbeing of succeeding.Therefore, the social, economic and cultural aspects of the region's development are interdependent and mutually reinforcing elements.
areas that need the most attention in the implementation of sustainable development programs
At the moment, the country Arctic Council aimed at active participation in the stabilization of some areas of social, cultural and economic sphere of the region.These are the following priority areas:
- cultural and educational heritage, is the basis for the successful development and capacity building in the region.
- well-being and health of people living in the Arctic.
- infrastructure development.This is a necessary condition for sustained economic growth, as a consequence, improve the quality of life of people who live in the Arctic.
- Formation and protection of educational and cultural heritage.These factors can be defined as a fundamental prerequisite for sustainable development of the region and increase its capital.
- Youth and children.The well-being of young people is extremely important for the future of Arctic communities.Therefore, they need protection and attention on the part of the Arctic Council.
- Proper use of natural resources.
sustainable development program includes quality work in each of the above areas.
supreme body coordinating the activities of the Arctic Council are the sessions that take place twice a year at the level of Foreign Ministers, representing member states.And the presiding country is constantly changing by voting.
As for the training sessions and the current issues relating to the activities of the Council, then by the Committee of Senior Officials.This working body meets at least 2 times a year.
Arctic Council - an organization which has 6 thematic working groups.Each of them carries out its activities on the basis of a specific mandate.These working groups are managed by the chairman, the board (can be a steering committee) and the secretariat.The purpose of these units is the development of the Council documents that are binding (reports, manuals, etc..) And implementation of specific projects.
Arctic Economic Council (AEC)
reason for the creation of this new body is to intensify the business relationship is between the participating countries the AU, as well as actively promoting both social and economic development of the region.Special this organization does the fact that it is independent of the Arctic Council.
NPP is essentially nothing more than a platform for the discussion of topical issues for the countries of the AU members and the business community.In the Arctic Economic Council rests with the mission of bringing a business perspective to the work of the AU and business development in the Arctic.
Initially, it is worth noting that the activities of the Arctic Council of the Russian Federation plays a key role.It was affected by factors such as a large coastline, the scale of mineral resources, as well as the extent of their development (it is important to understand that it is in the Arctic produces more than 70% of all oil and gas resources of the Russian Federation), as well as the area of the territory, which is located above the Arctic Circle.Do not forget about the big icebreaker fleet.Considering all the above facts, we can confidently assert that the Arctic Council in Russia is more than a major player.
Having such rich resources obliges the Russian Federation to not only take an active part in the implementation of projects developed by the participants of the AU, but also offer their own current initiatives.
current influence of the Arctic Council
Since its founding in 1996, the AK managed to evolve from another organization, focused on the preservation and development of a particular region in the international platform, allowing to conduct multilateral practical cooperation in the Arctic.This form of activity of the Council allows a considerable share of the efficiency cover a wide range of issues related to sustainable development of the Arctic potential.We are talking about projects that affect all aspects of life in the region - from ecology and economics to specific social needs.
interesting fact is that, according to the course, which took the Arctic Council, the observers will not be able to participate in making substantive decisions - such a privilege is available only to countries that have a direct bearing on the Arctic.As for the participation of non-regional countries, they will be content only with supervision.
To summarize a long experience of functioning of the AU, it is not difficult to make a clear conclusion: the work of the organization is clearly a success.The reason we can determine the effectiveness of a community of interests of the Arctic states.
This fact gives us every reason to anticipate further effective cooperation among the council members.