Biblical wisdom teaches that can not stand the castle, in which there is at least three of the righteous.That is the true power is not in squads and military force, and the help of God, sent down by the prayers of the saints.Russian people are well aware of this, and therefore spared no resources and labor for the construction of sacred monasteries, it becomes not only a bastion of Orthodoxy, but also an inexhaustible source of spiritual purity and morality.On one of these monasteries, built on the banks of the Volga River, and will our story.
fortress town of Samara
Today Samara - one of the largest cities of the Middle Volga.Its history goes back more than four centuries.In 1586, during the reign of the Tsar Fyodor Ivanovich, it was founded on the banks of the Volga fortress - town of Samara.Time was hectic, and that needed a guard stronghold, blocking the path of the steppe nomads.There has arisen and the holy abode, named the Savior Transfiguration nunnery.The Warriors were up in arms at the turn of the Russian land, and monastic sisters prayed about vanquishing villains.
This lasted until 1764, when a small number of nuns of the monastery was abolished.The lack of much-needed life-spiritual center could not affect.In the first half of next - XIX century, in a society increased tendency towards schism.In addition, widespread various sects, the most active of whom were members of the so-called Molokan heresy.
need to create the monastery
To counter such phenomena, it was necessary to create a powerful bulwark of true Orthodoxy.To this end, residents of Samara appealed to the Holy Synod of the initiative of opening in the city convent, designed about a hundred nuns.Samara residents supported the idea, the management of the Synod, however, require specific information about what money is planned to build a monastery.
This problem was solved the old fashioned way - announced among the inhabitants of the city to collect donations for the construction of the monastery.Especially dear and religiously-minded citizens of the city have made board of trustees, who took over the organizational part of the enterprise, and a few wealthy urban society representatives made large cash donations and, importantly, to unsubscribe for the construction of the monastery belonging to them land.Create
date of foundation of the monastery is considered to be 1850, when the chapel was built, which committed vigils.For their administration was involved two parables then existing in the city temples - the Kazan Cathedral and Trinity Church.Over time, the chapel was built around eight cells, which settled those who wanted to dedicate his life to serving God.
Of the first nuns in 1852 formed a small community, for the nourishment of which he was appointed priest.He became abbess of her pious virgin Mary Janov.This choice has been very successful since then it has proved to be an energetic and talented organizer.Through her works it went to an intensive process of resettlement of the community.
Conversion female community in the monastery
Within three years, was built and consecrated the first church of the monastery of the future, and soon in its ground floor was opened for parishioners another, consecrated in honor of the Mother of God in Jerusalem.It happened in July 1857.However, this was only the beginning of extensive construction work.One year later, the board of trustees cares of the diocesan authorities and the prioress of the community was laid a large stone church of Presentation of the Lord.
course, this zeal on the part of individuals who have dedicated themselves to this pious cause, and so intense pace of communal arrangement could not recall the positive reaction guidance of the Holy Synod.The result was the transformation in 1860 the women's community in the monastery, which was named Iver convent.Samara, so she got a much-needed bulwark of spiritual and religious education.
organization of economic life of the new monastery
Shortly before this solemn event Abbess Maria community Janov took monastic vows with the name Maragarita and, because of its merits, was elevated to the rank of abbess of the new monastery.Shortly come to pass the tonsure and other sisters.Of the remaining documents it is clear that in 1860 the convent Iver Samara inhabited twenty nuns and novices hundred ninety.For newly opened monastery is quite a lot.It is known that many monasteries at its base numbered far fewer inhabitants.
From the first days of its existence Iver Monastery (Samara) was independently ensure its existence.The fact that he belonged to the category of abnormal coenobite monasteries and did not receive any subsidies for its content.Of course, some of the needed funds come from voluntary donors in the form of payment of various religious items, such as long-term remembrance of the dead, reading the Psalms in private homes and more.But the sisters have become the main income the money earned by them in the numerous shops open at the monastery.
known that here wrote icons and minted for them garments, sewing vestments and decorated them with skillful gold sewing, weaving carpets and sewing elegant clothes for residents of the city.Even a purely male crafts as shoemaking and bookbinding, were under the power of women's hands.It is thanks to their hard work and generosity of donors nuns Iver Monastery (Samara) lived and developed.
Abbess Antonina and her writings
Since 1874, abbot of the monastery, in place of the retired after twenty-five years of serving his mother Margarita, became abbess Antonina.In the old days, she performed the duties of the treasurer of the monastery.Like its predecessor, the mother Antonina made an invaluable contribution to the organization of the life of the monastery.Because of her efforts annexed in 1882 began the construction of the stone church in the name of warm Tver Mother of God.Six years later, the church was solemnly consecrated in it began to make regular worship.
But one of the main innovations, the initiator of which was the abbess Antonina, spacious two-storey building was a hospital in the monastery.This project has been realized thanks to the generous donations of the Samara merchant P. Shihobalovoy listed in Iver Monastery (Samara) all necessary means.Two years later, in 1889, also works prioress at the monastery opened a parochial school, which is constantly trained about a hundred girls from families of burghers and peasants, and when it was set up a shelter for orphaned girls.
last years before the Revolution
Abbess Antonina went to the Lord in 1892 and was buried in the church of Tver Mother of God, to be built where she put so much mental and physical strength.Her place was taken in the same way as she, who performed before obedience treasurer Feofania nun, but six years later it was removed from that position and gave way to the priestly widow AV Milovidova, who took the monastic name Seraphim.In subsequent years, she managed the monastery, skillfully combining the spiritual and economic activities.Under her command Iver Monastery (Samara) met the dramatic events of 1917.
should be noted that in this period the monastery achieved a great deal in their development.On its territory were four temples.Services in Iver Monastery (Samara) attended as nuns of the monastery themselves and residents of the city.In addition, the monastery was famous for its well-organized charities, among which were: Hospital, church school, a shelter for orphaned girls and a hospice.The total number of inmates of the monastery in 1917 exceeded four people.
period of religious persecution
In the years following the October Revolution, the monastery shared the fate of many Russian monasteries.In 1919, she was deprived of its status as a religious institution.Of the ten most of the premises has been given under the communal apartments for employees of local businesses.
Some church buildings, originally granted to the sermons of the local Orthodox community, have been redeveloped for economic purposes, and the central monastery church - Cathedral of the Assumption - and its 65-meter bell tower blown up.For many years, interrupted their activities Iver Monastery (Samara).Schedule of services of those years indicated a continuation of the prayer ministry within the religious community, while the monastery was abolished.
revival of the monastery
revival of the monastery began in the nineties, when the country returned all the church all that was illegally taken from her during the hard times.In 1991 he was re-organized community of women, in whose possession the room refectory church.Since that time, we began intensive restoration work.A lot had to be rebuilt, recreating the appearance of Save pictures and recollections of old residents of the city.
The former glory is now over Volga Iver Monastery (Samara).Reviews have been in it pilgrims and tourists indicate that the work of the builders, restorers, and simply volunteers wishing to participate in its rebirth, were not in vain.In 1994, the women's community, formed on its territory, has received the official status of the monastery.From that time until today is headed by the Mother Superior of St. John (Kapitantseva).
in full spiritual life filled Iver Monastery (Samara).Schedule of services, committed daily in it shows a complete line of services to the annual cycle, established by the Charter of the Russian Orthodox Church.The flow of pilgrims who come to pray in its walls, growing day by day.On the paper attached diagram clearly shows where the Iberian monastery (Samara).Address monastery: Samara, Volzhsky prospect, 1.