largest city in the Republic of Karelia, Petrozavodsk is.As the name implies, the city owes its origins to Peter the Great.According to his decree of 1703, on the shores of Lake Onega near the mouth of the river is laid Lososinka weapons factory and its workers - Petrovskaya Sloboda.Here, next to a wooden palace of Peter I, who have been here many times, the church is being built.
But Orthodoxy came to this area much earlier - there is a record made in 1227, that the son of Vsevolod the Big Nest, Grand Duke Vladimir Yaroslav Vsevolodovich (1191-1246) "sent to baptize all of Karelia".Orthodoxy has not been met with hostility, since it has long made it here because of its close proximity shoots and friendship with Novgorod.The step was necessary because, first, one faith united the country, and secondly - gaining strength near the Swedish state, for which Russia has always been a tasty morsel.But in 1589 there was created the Karelian Diocese (formerly known as the area controlled by individual bishops, in this case it was Sylvester) with the department in the town of Korela.Of course, the Novgorod diocese has played a big role in this.
Before the formation of the Karelian diocese (1593) okormleniem this region engaged Kexholmsky and Ladoga vicariate was Novgorod diocese.Petrozavodsk in 1784 became the center of Olonets region (province).Decree of 15 May 1787 issued by Catherine II, Olonets vicariate is connected to the Arkhangelsk diocese.The center of the newly formed structure is located in Arkhangelsk.Permanent conversion of church-administrative units due to the desire to strengthen the European North of Russia.Paul I make changes, Alexander I - his own.Kings, replacing each other on the Russian throne, often cancels the decision of their predecessors.And now in 1828 it is formed independent Olonets diocese with the center in Petrozavodsk.
can assume that from that moment began to take shape the future Petrozavodsk and Karelian diocese.We have begun to actively be erected monasteries and temples, open religious schools (including women), and seminaries.20 years, until the Revolution, to issue their own diocesan newspaper.As of 1904, the diocese consisted of 251 Orthodox and edinovercheskogo arrival.There existed even its spiritual, educational fraternity.But, as mentioned in a feature film, "came the hegemon, and everything was ashes."Those who refused to cooperate with the new authorities and to support renovationism were shot and exiled to Siberia.Among the latter was the bishop Euthymios (Lapin), which after the link for the next five years, retains the title of bishop of Olonets.Ten years between supporters of the new trends and the old faith were internecine fighting, and temples of Petrozavodsk passed from hand to hand.In 1929, it equaled the boundaries of the diocese and the Karelian autonomy.In 1937-1938, he was punished indiscriminately - and supporters Renovationism (their center was at Holy Cross Cathedral), and supporters of the patriarchate of St. Catherine's Church.
Temples began to burn and closed.Motivation was one for the whole of Soviet Russia - the absence of believers and clergy.Maybe it was - people were scared, priests were shot, at best, exiled.During the occupation, the service conducted by the Finnish Orthodox priests.After the city was liberated by the Red Army in Petrozavodsk was only one priest.He started sending service.The current Petrozavodsk and Karelian diocese in 1944 was given for temporary use and Pskov Porkhov Archbishop Gregory.Later, significant changes in the life of the diocese was not observed, temples almost not open, congregations were not formed, the only significant change was the change of the title of bishop, he was called Petrozavodsk and Olonets.Previously, it was the opposite.And in 1962 the management of the church and general administrative unit transferred to the Metropolitan of Leningrad.This lasted until 1986.
In 90th throughout Russia begins the revival of the church, and again in 1990 Petrozavodsk and Karelian diocese become independent.August 14 this year, Holy Cross Church, Archimandrite Manuel became head of the Petrozavodsk diocese with the title of Bishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia.
Over the years, the revival of the diocese actively building temples, monasteries, parishes opened their number reached 7 (active monasteries) and 63 parishes.Diocesan Centre is located in Petrozavodsk.This city has many beautiful temples, not only Orthodox (about 12), there are places of worship of all religions and faiths.Very nice standing on the shore of Logmozero Church in the name of the Lord Streteniya.This is one of the oldest stone churches in Petrozavodsk.Preserve the memory of the old cathedral - Svyatoduhovsky five-domed church in height 56.5 meters, ruthlessly demolished in 1936.
main cathedral of the Diocese
cathedral church or, as they say at the Orthodox Cathedral, located in Petrozavodsk.It is a monument of architecture - the Cathedral in the name of Alexander Nevsky.In the beginning it was a factory church erected at the expense of workers of Alexandrovsky factory, and it was called the Alexander Nevsky.The project Postnikov it was built in the years 1826-1832 the engineer Pietro Carlo Maderno.She had three altars.Its fate is similar to the stories of thousands of Orthodox churches - in the years of their unbelief desecrated, looted, closed.In 1991 he returned to the cathedral of the Diocese of Petrozavodsk.Altered and restored by the architect VG Kopnina in 2000 the temple was consecrated Alexy II.
last structural change and death abbot
next reorganization occurred in 2013.Petrozavodsk and Karelian diocese loses Kostamuksha Kemskaya and church-administrative unit.May 29 The Holy Synod decides on the formation of the Karelian metropolis, whose head is appointed by the Bishop Manuel (Vitaly V. Pavlov).
Archdiocese has its own official website and their own media (newspaper "Logos" and two).In addition, publications and websites have all the major parishes.It should be noted that on the night of the 6th to the 7th of March, Bishop Manuel died on the 65 th year of life after a long illness.The special merit of his contract belongs to the Finnish Orthodox Archbishop John of non-infringement visiting Finnish priests canonical rules.Manuel gave John corporal self-signed.Friendly efforts of two Orthodox churches have significantly reduced the impact of Lutheranism in the Republic of Karelia.