Almost all people have heard something about an international organization such as the UN.Its members are almost all countries of the world, but few people know exactly what functions it performs.
UN structure includes 6 main business units whose employees are engaged in these or other issues.The main purpose of the organization - the maintenance of peace and security on our planet.In addition, the UN promotes the establishment of friendly relations between nations, favors the development of comprehensive cooperation (social, economic, humanitarian and cultural).It emerged in 1945.the UN system is working to help the people of Earth in a variety of areas and issues.
main constituent document of the organization is its Charter.It lists the responsibilities and rights of its members, allowing to achieve common goals.
UN structure designed to achieve universal respect for all peoples and human rights.For the implementation of the organization's activities, each Member State deducts mandatory contributions.The basic principle is that the richer a country is, the more contributions to the UN budget it produces.So, at last count, more than 82% of the budget organizations pay 16 richest countries of the earth.The money sent to each unit of the United Nations to carry out its duties and powers.
UN agencies includes major organs such as the Security Council, the Secretariat, the General Assembly, the Trusteeship Council, the Economic and Social Council, International Court of Justice.Each of these agencies is engaged in a wide range of issues, so they have a lot of support and advisory bodies.
UN structure is so complex that a list of all its subsidiaries will take more than one page.Here are the top division of its main bodies:
1. Security Council subject to the following subsidiary bodies:
- Sanctions Committee;
- Compensation Commission;
- The International Criminal Tribunals;
- Military Staff Committee;
- Committee on Peacekeeping;
- Counter-Terrorism Committee;
- Standing Committees;
- 1540 Committee;
- working group on children and armed conflict.
The Council has five permanent (China, Russia, UK, USA, France) and 10 elected members every 2 years.It operates continuously.Each member shall preside 1 month.This body has broad powers in matters of preservation of security and peace.Council resolutions are binding for all countries.Meetings are held regularly, and, if necessary, convene extraordinary.
2. The Secretariat of the United Nations includes specialized agencies and bodies:
- Postal Union;
- the World Bank Group;
- World Organization (health, meteorology, intellectual property, tourism);
- International organizations (maritime, civil aviation, IMF, ITU, labor, rural development);
- Organization for Education, Science, Culture and Industrial Development;
- World Trade, Food and Agriculture Organization;
- International Agency for Atomic Energy;
- Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and nuclear tests;
- the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, to Combat Desertification, on Climate Change;
- Foundations of democracy and international partnerships.
Head of the Secretariat - the Secretary-General, elected for 5 years on the recommendations of the Security Council.
3. The General Assembly comprises the following organs:
- the Agency;
- Working Groups.
In the General Assembly member countries are represented by 1 vote.This organ holds annual regular session and is working with the complex structure of its subsidiary bodies.At the extraordinary session of the Assembly is 24 hours.
4. The Trusteeship Council shall consist of 5 members.He oversees the Self-Governing Territories.
5. The Economic and Social Council has the Commission:
- Development and Population;
- on Narcotic Drugs;
- on Women;
- on Science and Technology;
- on Sustainable Development;
- Crime and Justice;
- social development;
The composition of the Council and includes the regional economic commissions:
- Asia and the Pacific;
- for Western Asia;
- Latin America;
The composition of the Council also includes a variety of committees, special and expert bodies.
6. International Court of Justice consists of elected for 9 years, 15 judges - representatives of different countries.It provides a Security Council mandate.
UN structure includes various other specialized institutions.It includes and peacekeeping forces.