addition to the standard statistics website, which includes a number of unique visitors, open pages and a lot of other useful information, the web master needs to know lots of other things about this site, and it is open to him the logs.This novice webmasters often do not even know what a log and that he gives.
What information is still needed?
As mentioned above, in addition to the standard options, the site owner has to know a lot more other data:
- Which pages are the most visited.
- which search queries most often users come to the site.
- What browsers or operating systems are the most popular among visitors.
- What screen resolution used by your users.
- And much more.
How to know it?
In the overwhelming majority of cases at the site set a paid or free counter, and the resource that it offers, provides a thorough analysis of the site and keep statistics of visits, which can be at any time available.Especially the use of such counters is a demand in the event that a person puts their own website on a free hosting.Considering that such a log, it is important to learn how to work with such counters, because, in fact, they include most of the necessary data.
overwhelming majority hosts providing paid hosting initially give their customers the ability to use analysis tools that are already installed in the created website.For example, Apache servers use a specialized tool called Webalizer, which is used as an additional server module.
Those who are paid hosting can also completely independently handle all the data about your site, as a webmaster, who knows what the log of the site and how to use it, has full access to all relevant information.
What is it?
on any site maintains its own log, in which the webmaster can look at any time convenient to him.What is a log?This is a separate text file, which contains information about all queries to the site, as well as on various errors related to these requests.
As data is written to a log?
Initially, the user types in their own browser to a specific site, and goes to him.After this, the user's browser begins to transmit to the server on which the given site, the request for the grant of interest by the Web page.With this server, the following information:
- IP-address of the visitor.
- exact time of the request.
- browser that the user is using.
- operating system that the user is using.
- the page of interest.
- page address, which was the transition to the target.
After that, the visitor is given the server a request of interest to him, and all the information regarding the transactions carried out is made in the event log, creating the so-called log file.
competent analysis logs of the site allows the webmaster to determine how it uses its resources and in what direction it more important to develop.
What information give the logs?
viewing site logs, you can find a lot of useful information that will improve the further promotion of the resource and make it more efficient:
- visitors .Of course, this indicator is defined and a standard meter, which may be present on every page, but in the log the data provided in more detail, including the attendance of days, hours or months.Also, by using the log can determine the clock burst or calm traffic, which is very important to know, engaged in maintenance of the site.
- Traffic .In this case, given the traffic of each individual page and total site traffic for a certain period of time.
- conversion. This option allows you to determine how visitors move through your resource, that is, they viewed a page and shut down or all the same began to "travel" through your site, looking through one page after another.Level conversion allowing indirectly determine the quality of your site.
- Abandoned page. Considering what the server logs, you can often determine that they are abandoned pages, that is, those that are visited very rarely.In this situation, the webmaster must conduct a thorough analysis of the situation, as may be the case that the pages are no longer interested in the people or they become hard to find among the many others on your site.
- Popular pages. Web pages that are most visited.It is possible to use them as a reference in the creation of other pages, and if necessary, may also be directed with these pages to the user in any other that are abandoned or less popular.
- Searches. In addition, there is a site in the logs as the effectiveness of those meta tags, keywords and titles themselves web pages that have been used by you and for which your site is able to find these or other search engines.Accordingly, the data and logs are on what is a search engine for a given query found your site.