On the question of what the Bible, it is impossible to answer briefly.In the 3rd century BCKing Ptolemy of Egypt wanted to have the Library of Alexandria Greek translation of the Bible.But the Jews sent from 72 interpreter did not know what to translate.And this is explained by the following fact.In the Hebrew Bible there are several levels of text.Please read by word, then counted certain letters: every 7, then every 10, every 50. And it turns out the new text, which serves as the previous interpretation.Ptolemy ordered to transfer just the main text.Thus was born the Septuagint - the translation of the Old Testament books in the Greek language.But this is only the history of the Bible.And if you look from a worldly point of view, the question of what the Bible has a straightforward answer: The Bible - a collection of books, which are divided into 2 parts: the Old Testament and the New Testament.
written before the coming of Christ the Old Testament texts can be divided into four groups:
- book of the law;
- historical books;
- didactic books;
- prophetic books.
book of the law (law of the Hebrew language - "Tora") in another called Five Books of Moses, and they consist of the following books:
- Genesis - tells the story of the creation of the world and of man, of the omnipotence of God, his wisdom andgreat love, the manifestation of which was the creation of man in the image and likeness.Genesis describes the greatest tragedy - the fall of man and his expulsion from Paradise.
- Exodus - tells the story of the resettlement of Jews from Egypt.The heart of the book - the greatest event - the revelation at Sinai.This is the story of how Moses received the 10 Commandments from God.
- Leviticus - the book of the Old Testament priesthood.
- Numbers - tells about the number of the tribes of Israel, and goes on to describe the Jews in the wilderness wanderings.
- Deuteronomy - the repetition of the commandments of Moses to a new generation, born during the exodus.
Summing up, we say that the law of God in the books of the law taught the people the truth, to prepare them to take the law of love that Christ will bring.
historical books include:
- Joshua - tells the story of the conquest of the Promised Land.
- Judges - covers the period from the conquest of Canaan before the royal power.For, while the Jews were the only in the world of a theocratic state.
- Ruth - addition of the previous book, with a focus on the Life of ordinary people.
- Kings (1-4) - describes the historical period between the reign of King Saul and the destruction of the first temple by Nebuchadnezzar.
- Chronicles - addition to the previous book.
- 1st Book of Ezra - contains a detailed description of the return of the Jews from Babylonian captivity, as well as the construction of the 2nd temple.
- Nehemiah - complements the previous book and reveals the details of the spiritual rebirth of the Jewish people.
- Esther - this book tells the story of the origins of the emergence of the Jewish holiday of Purim.
general outline of these books are made accessible to the understanding of the Creator fishing in the events of history and the active participation of God in people's lives.From his humanity God seeks to correct the sinful nature of man, turn him from serving idols and turn to him.
didactic books - essentially didactic texts.They teach that person how to relate to the events of everyday life, without losing sight of God and his commandments:
- Book of Job - describes the life of the great Old Testament righteous Iovy.
- Solomon Books - give us a poetic type of the church as the bride of Christ.
- Psalter - a special part of the Old Testament texts.In old Russia learned the alphabet on it.This is an invaluable source of prayer and every prayer Worship rich from this book.But most importantly, that the Psalms abounds with vivid prophecies about Christ.
prophetic book - the book is the four great prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel.As well as twelve other minor prophets.Almost all the major prophecies were in some way connected with the birth of Jesus Christ.
Additionally, mention should be made of non-canonical texts.As such they are because they have not been preserved in the Hebrew original.Among them, the Wisdom of Jesus son of Sirach, Book of Wisdom, Tobit and others.These books are not included in the Canon, but included in the Septuagint as useful and instructive.Of course, the division into groups is conditional.In the prophetic books of many historical facts, but in the history books of prophecy there.
The portion of Scripture, which was written after the birth of Christ, called the New Testament and is fully devoted to one key theme, and one exceptional person - Jesus Christ, who is perfect, and kindness, and perfect novelty in the history of mankind.We can say that the New Testament is a one great book, which, in turn, consists of 27 books.Of course, if judged not by volume, and in order of importance.The basis of the New Testament texts are 4 Gospels:
Gospel in Greek means "good news."And the news that brought Christ himself, and this is the message of Christ.The Gospel speaks of the divine origin of Christ, his miraculous birth of a virgin, extraordinary wisdom, suffering on the cross, death, his glorious resurrection and ascension to heaven.In relation to the rest of the New Testament books of the Gospel is the book of basic truths.
Acts of the Apostles can be attributed to the historical books of the New Testament.This book tells about the life of the first Christian communities, the apostolic preaching.Also in the New Testament are the Epistle of St. ranked 21.Apostles.They are a statement of the basic truths of the Christian faith.
Of all the New Testament books, there is one feature - the Apocalypse.This Greek word means "a revelation."From this book we learn about the future of the Church and the world, the hard struggle of the church against all fiend, the end of history, the triumph of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God and victory over the forces of darkness.
That is what is in and what is interpreted Orthodox Bible.But it does not give a definitive answer to the question that is the Bible.According to the Apostle Paul, if one reads the Bible, and does not believe in Christ, then his mind is blinded, and the mind is covered.Until now, the Jews, reading the Bible, only understand the words, but the meaning of the scripture.It is necessary to clarify what Paul meant by the Jews people do not believe in Christ as the Son of God.
About 200 years ago, St. Seraphim of Sarov about answered the question about what the Bible: The Bible - there is a book inspired by God, by reading that can converse with God.If you read the Old Testament, then you talk to God, and if you read the Gospel, the Lord speaks to you.If a person with attention will read the entire Bible, the Lord will not leave this feat and reward the gift of understanding this ascetic.
It's been many years, but no one has denied the words of the holy old man.Maybe this is so?