Who at least once had to deal with the translation of technical documentation: the English-language instructions or the drawing, it is difficult to know how to do even with a "college" or "school" knowledge of a foreign language.It would seem that complicated here: text information is not very much, but on almost every page contains detailed illustrations.Of course, the reality is not as easy as it may first seem.
Technical translation is not by chance is estimated at about 20-30% more expensive standard: the abundance inherent in a particular professional area of terms and narrow specificity make this type of transfer of one of the most difficult and time-consuming.Without experience in the field of translation is almost impossible to translate the technical text at the required quality level.That's why most people prefer to turn to a professional technical translator, which, in principle, correctly and logically.On the other hand, there are situations where translation is needed as it "for himself" - then with the existing knowledge in the technical field can take a chance to translate the text yourself.Further describes the algorithm is very rough, so that the specific list of actions is not intended to be useful to all novice translators.
1) First compiled a glossary, in other words, a list of key words and phrases, which make up the unique terminology of the technical documentation: names of buttons or control devices, for example, details of the mechanism.This can be done with the help of a dictionary of technical expressions of the industry in which you want from the set of values to select the appropriate term in context.In translating instructions for complex technological mechanisms and devices, in the event that the professional scope of the text is not quite clear, or unfamiliar, better even before the compilation of the glossary try to collect as much information on this subject that in the future it will help to understand.
2) After the technical terminology of the text and ordered dismantled, can be carefully re-read all the material again in order to more accurately capture the essence of the instructions described in the action, if necessary, to clarify the meaning of certain terms and expressions.
3) In certain cases, technical translation advisable to begin with the text that precedes the illustrations or go after them, to immediately understand the meaning of the image in the image and action cycles.
4) Sometimes facilitate technical translation can well-chosen analogue instructions or specifications.When selecting such analogs is necessary to pay attention not only to the common features, but also on the differences in the device arrangements, as for example, different models and brands of equipment may have not only different functional parameters but even different from other operating principle.That is why the translation of technical manuals, specifications and instructions necessary not only to understand the specifics of the industry sphere, but also to deal with the peculiarities of a particular model of device or equipment to which and the technical documentation in a foreign language.
5) Please note that the translation of technical topics may require a lot of time: as the speed of even professional technical translators usually no more than 11-12 pages per day.
described algorithm of actions can help the novice translator to translate the text you yourself, while spending a certain amount of effort and time.Of course, you should always adjust their labor spent their cash equivalent and the cost of services of a professional translator.The quality of the resulting self-translation of the text may be different, but in any case their own efforts will certainly help you to get together with the transfer of new and useful knowledge in various technical fields.