Russians met with olive oil is relatively recent, its category, grade and selection criteria is not known to many.Topic about which brand of olive oil is better in a number of similar products, the focus of this article.In addition to the rating review of the material provides information about the benefits of olive oil, its production method, quality standards and criteria for selection.
value of olive oil and its differences from other
unique feature of the olive tree is that it is growing at an average of about 500 years, and all his life actively fruiting.Moreover, the age of some trees has 1,500 and even 2,000 years.Such grow on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.
What brand of olive oil is best used for salads - the question is very relevant, especially on the eve of the season vegetables.Salads with him is very tasty and healthy.The oil from the olive fruit contains a lot of vitamins and minerals.In particular, it contains vitamins A, E, D, K, and polyphenols.They have beneficial effects o
Compared with other types of olive oil has good digestibility due to high content in its composition of oleic acid, which is among the main fatty acids in the human body.
Methods for producing olive oil
Raw olives are inedible and unsuitable for food, as they have a very bitter taste.To get rid of it, the fruits are soaked in a special solution.Despite this, the best brands of olive oil often have a specific smell and bitter taste that not everyone likes.It should be borne in mind when selecting oil.
The manufacturing process of the product is that stoned fruits thoroughly crushed, stirring constantly mass.After this procedure, olive oil squeezed, using special centrifuges.So it turns out the first oil extraction.It is always a bit bitter.
remaining cake go into action again, extracting oil second pressing.It was purified from impurities and bitterness using chemicals, therefore it does not have an unpleasant odor and taste.
Types oil of methods for producing
Depending mark used on the label, the oil varies according to the method of preparation.Possible markings: Virgin, Refined, Pomace .
- Virgin - is a natural oil obtained by cold pressing of the first.This product retains all the nutrients, minerals and vitamins.Minus his only one - it has a limited shelf life.Mistress of the world believe that the Virgin - the best olive oil.Brand (reviews confirm it) is in great demand.
- Refined - as virgin olive oil, but refined with the use of physical and chemical processes.Refining takes place as follows: the fruit of the olive tree are ground and filled with a chemical solvent, analogue of gasoline - hexane.Under its influence from the fruit allocates oil, which is discharged.Residual hexane removed by water vapor, and then - with an alkali.The next step is bleached and deodorized product.
- Pomace - olive products produced by secondary extraction with physico-chemical technologies.
Virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil - with this designation are available, top brands of olive oil Extra Virgin, obtained by cold pressing of the first.The acidity of such oils does not exceed 0.8 / 100 grams.
- Virgin olive oil - marking it for the first extraction of oil, whose acidity is not more than 2/100 gram.Such a product is obtained from olives that have been subjected to mechanical or physical influences, including temperature.Such oils were purified only natural components and certain technologies - water, filtration, decantation, centrifugation.
- Ordinary virgin olive oil - it is also the oil of the first extraction, the acidity of which does not exceed the rate of 3.3 / 100 grams.At its manufacture are used only natural (virgin) methods.
Refined olive oil
This oil is obtained from the raw material of the first extraction method of refining.Its acidity is 0.3 / 100 grams.Such product is prepared using physico-chemical techniques aimed at removing odors, acidity and bitter taste.These oils are considered to be of lower quality.
Pomace olive oil
- Olive-pomace oil - a product that consists of a mixture of refined oil, and the first extraction.Its acidity - 1/100 gram.This characteristic is applied to those oils which are obtained by pressing of the cake with solvents and other physical treatments.
- Refined olive-pomace oil - pomace oil obtained by refining with the use of physical and chemical technology.The acidity of the product - 0.3 / 100 grams.
Even in the category of oil can vary in quality parameters.When tasting evaluated parameters such as:
- acidity - means the level of oleic acid per 100 grams of product.The taste of this figure is not affected.It is believed that the lower the acidity, the higher the quality of the oil.
- color.Shades oils may be yellow and green range - depending on the type of fruit, its maturity, and processing method.
- Aroma. oil that lengthy exposure to sunlight, loses its flavor.Normally, it is determined next pahuchest volatiles - alcohols, hydrocarbons, aldehydes, ethers.
- taste. have natural oil taste is very rich, intense, bitter, sweet or salty.A bad sign is a rancid taste watery, vinegar or metal.
- shelf life. parameter to which we should pay attention - this is the date of filling.What makes it "fresh", the better the quality of the product.That is why olive oil is never buy a reserve.Store the bottles in the dark followed enclosures in containers of dark glass.Shelf life of oil should not exceed 1 year.
Another parameter indicative of the olive oil is that when stored in the refrigerator, it falls to the bottom of large flakes.I do not think that the product has deteriorated, so it is a very good indicator of quality.Once the oil is warmed, flakes disappear.However, experts do not recommend storing it in the refrigerator.Preference is given to a dry shaded place.
bottle caps must be very tightly closed.Very important: Keep oil should be in glass or metal cans.This quality product is never sold in plastic, as the top layer is able to cleave polyethylene, whereby the harmful substances are released into the food.The same point applies to other types of vegetable oils.The best brand of olive oil is unrefined, it should be borne in mind in the first place with the purchase of this product.
Sensory evaluation of quality
tasting oil professionals say that they should have the taste of fresh olives.In addition, the possible smell of freshly cut grass, torn lettuce.Allowed even smells of chocolate and anise tones.
order to understand the richness of this product, it is heated to a temperature of +200 ° C, and then coated on a glass plate with a thin layer and rubbed the back of his hand.The best olive oil (Brand does not matter here) corresponds to the above specifications.
In assessing the color is poured into a glass of oil in an amount of 50 ml and is seen through the reflected light on a white background.It is important that measured not only the color, but different color shades.It is believed that the green product, the higher its quality.Actually, this is true only in part since the color of the oil depends on a variety of fruit produce it.
So here is guided on a set of indicators: color, smell, taste.If the oil is yellow, but the fragrant smell and the taste is right, then it suggests that, most likely, for the manufacture of products used black olives rather than olives.
Rating olive oils
answer unambiguously the question of which brand of olive oil is better, it is not easy.Experts for answers to this question are conducted complex research.Here are the results of one of them.In 2014 the well-known rating agency product quality SIC IPPs "Test" conducted a comparative study of 11 major brands of olive oil Extra Virgin class.When evaluating products considered parameters such as:
- authenticity of the brand;
- that the composition claimed;
- absorption of ultraviolet radiation;
- organoleptic evaluation of properties.
best olive oil (brand, especially the photo presented in this article) must conform to all the requirements.The study included such brands as: Mana Gea, "award", Borges, Maestro de Oliva, "Hellas", ABEA, Costa d'Oro, ITLV, Monini, Oscar and Ravika.
"excellent" deserve oil Mana Gea, "award", Borges.Oil Maestro de Oliva behind the leader, earning a rating of "good."All these products are in full compliance with labeling Extra Virgin.So the answer to the question of which brand of olive oil best in this series, is obvious: it is the one that all the parameters of the respective category.
remaining 7 were also acceptable brands of olive oil, however, gave way to the leader of ratings on a number of parameters, resulting in their assessment - "bad."This means that they do not meet labeling Extra Virgin.
Choosing the right oil
It should be noted that the answer to the question of which brand of olive oil is better, it does not explain whether it is suitable for the solution of certain oil culinary tasks.For example, experienced chefs kept on his desk olive oil several varieties.Determine which one is more suited to certain dishes.
So, the best olive oil for salads - this oil grade Extra Virgin.It will also be an excellent "companion" to pizza, pasta, milk porridge and other dishes that allow you to taste the product.
However, it is not suitable for frying.What brand of olive oil best for stewing, roasting and grilling?Oil grades Refined.The fact that the Extra Virgin is rich in minerals that decompose when frying, forming carcinogens and smoke.Refined oil is cleaned from these substances, so feel free to be used for frying and cooking other dishes associated with high temperature treatment.