Magnesium hydroxide (formula Mg (OH) 2) - is an inorganic chemical compound, magnesium hydroxide (alkaline earth metal).It refers to a group of insoluble bases.
physical properties of magnesium hydroxide
1. Under normal conditions, magnesium hydroxide is a colorless (transparent) crystals having a hexagonal lattice.2.
decomposes to magnesium oxide (MgO), and water (H2O) at a temperature of three hundred fifty degrees.3.
absorbs air from carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O), thereby forming a basic magnesium carbonate.
4. Practically insoluble in water and soluble in ammonium salts.
5. It is based on the average strength.
6. In nature, occurs in the form of a special mineral - brucite.
How to get magnesium hydroxide?
1. This material can be obtained by reacting magnesium salts with various alkalies such as:
MgCl2 (magnesium chloride) + 2NaOH (Sodium hydroxide) = Mg (OH) 2 (precipitated magnesium hydroxide) + 2NaCl (sodium chloride)
Mg (NO3) 2 (magnesium nitrate) + 2KOH (potassium base) = Mg (OH) 2 (magnesium base precipitates) + 2KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
2. Also, a chemical compound can be prepared by reactingsolution of magnesium chloride (MgCl2) with the calcined dolomite (CaO * MgO):
MgCl2 (magnesium chloride) + CaO * MgO (calcined dolomite) + 2H2O (water) = 2Mg (OH) 2 (base magnesium precipitates) + CaCl2 (calcium chloride)
3. Ground magnesium can be obtained also by reaction of water vapor with the metallic magnesium:
Mg (magnesium metal) + 2H2O (water vapor) = Mg (OH) 2 (precipitated) +H2 (hydrogen in the form of a gas)
chemical properties of magnesium hydroxide:
1. This compound at 350 ° decomposes into magnesium oxide and water.It looks like this reaction:
Mg (OH) 2 (magnesium base) = MgO (magnesium oxide) + 2H2O (water)
2. Interacts with acids.In this form the salt and water.Examples:
Mg (OH) 2 (base) + 2HCl (hydrochloric acid) = MgCl2 (magnesium chloride) + 2H2O (water)
Mg (OH) 2 (base) + H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) = MgSO4 (Magnesium sulfate) + 2H2O (water)
3. Interacts with acid oxides.The reaction produces a salt and water:
Mg (OH) 2 (base) + SO3 (sulfur oxide) = MgSO4 (magnesium sulfate) + H2O (water)
4. Also magnesium hydroxide is reacted with hot concentrated alkali solutions.In this form gidroksomagnezaty.Examples:
Mg (OH) 2 + 2NaOH (base solution) = Na2 (Mg (OH) 4)
Mg (OH) 2 + S (OH) 2 (base sulfur) = Sr (Mg (OH) 4)
- as a nutritional supplement designed to bind sulfur dioxide (SO2).Registered under the sign E528;
- as fokulyanta for wastewater treatment;
- as an additive in various detergents and as a component in toothpaste;
- refining of sugar and to produce magnesium oxide (MgO);
Special attention is given to use of the chemical in the healthcare industry.
magnesium hydroxide medicine
It is laxative and antacid, is able to neutralize the hydrochloric acid (hydrochloric, HCl) acid in the stomach and reduce the activity of gastric juice.However, the impact of the magnesium hydroxide is not accompanied by changes in secondary and AAR hypersecretion of hydrochloric acid.Also, the substance promotes peristalsis and other parts of the intestine.Laxative effect occurs in about 2-6 hours.
Indications: chronic gastritis with increased and normal secretion, duodenal ulcer and gastric discomfort, or epigastric pain, heartburn after smoking or drinking coffee or alcohol, and constipation.
Contraindications: Hypersensitivity to the magnesium hydroxide.
It should be noted that patients with kidney problems after using magnesium base can develop gipermagnemiya (ie the excess of magnesium in the body).
also used in medicine algeldrat magnesium hydroxide - a tool that is used for gastric ulcer, acute duodenitis, giperatsidnom gastritis, gastralgia, chronic pancreatitis, heartburn, hyperphosphatemia, or putrid fermentation dipepsii.This drug is contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity, Alzheimer's disease, during pregnancy or breast-feeding.