Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.Moreover, it is doubtful that we would be able to learn anything if it does not make any mistakes.A sign of intelligence is not the absence of errors, but rather a skill that once made the mistake not to repeat it again and again.A person with intelligence can forgive a mistake, but do not repeat it.
Each of us knows quite reasonable people who too often make mistakes and so often fail in the case of that charge.It looks as if they lose their minds, should they come face to face with the problems of the real world.This suggests that the intellect alone is not enough to succeed in the real world, it does not matter how broadly we define the concept of intelligence.
People can come into this world with the best intellectual abilities, which alone can provide them with heredity, or receive education in highly intellectual environment, but, nevertheless, did not succeed in their daily lives, and to be limited vegetation.
As you read you will undoubtedly become clearer as the 20 above-mentioned obstacles preventing use of the intelligence, why traditional tests of intelligence, even the most advanced in terms of the breadth of the spectrum covered by the mental capacity to adequately represent only a fraction of the intellect acting in the real world.
1. Lack of motivation .Hardly anything worth talents a person if he has no incentive to use them.Motivation becomes a key source of differences in success between individuals living in a given environment.For some, the motivation comes from external sources - the approval of their peers, the desire for recognition, enrichment, etc.For others, the motivation can be internal, arising from their own satisfaction a job well done.Typically, a person moves both external and internal motivation in different proportions.
2. Lack of ownership of their own impulsiveness .There are moments in life when people need to act impulsively.Impulsiveness does not allow the person to make full use of their mental abilities.Although the endless thoughts as undesirable, the man should not be in the process of solving the problem of falling into the temptation decision first came to mind solutions.Keep in mind that a little later on the mind can come and better solutions.
3. Lack of persistence and perseverance excessive .Some people, despite all their inherent intelligence, easy to give up.If something goes wrong, how they want them to, or if the first is their attempts failed, they throw the begun business.As a result, they unwittingly lose the ability to get things done.At the other extreme are people who continue to work on a problem when it is high time to leave it as it was hopeless.They persist even when they should have been aware that to solve the problem probably will not succeed, at least, at the right time.
4. The use of "wrong" skills .Many people at some point in their lives come to the conclusion that they either chose the wrong profession or their work within their chosen profession does not fully meet the requirements imposed by it.From the side it looks as if the work they have undertaken to perform, requires a set of skills and abilities, they also operate it using the other abilities and skills.The discovery that the person thus makes for himself essentially lies in the fact that, despite the existence of a good and useful skills, they nevertheless are not suitable for those tasks, the solution of which the person is currently involved.In this situation, do the mind would be to elect a new direction in education or a career, or at least to think about new strategies in their own studies and work.
5. Inability to translate thought into things .Some show great advances in theoretical solution of their problems and the problems of others, sometimes creating the impression of people who are for all occasions ready solution.At the same time they are unable to translate theory into practice.In the words of psychologist ERTatra Mountains (1935), they are "buried in thought."No matter how good were their idea to do something real for their implementation, such people can not.But in order to get out of their own intelligence, we need to not only have good ideas, but also to be able to practically implement them - to translate ideas into action.
6. Inadequate attention to results .Some people tend to pay very much attention to the process itself, but much less attention to the results.However, it is based on the end result can be judged on our achievements, whether in school or in adult life.
7. Failure to bring the solution to the problem before the end of .A good saying for people who are unable to bring it started to end, says that once having started, they can not get to the finish.Nothing in their life, it seems, can not be said to be completely finished.
8. Failure to take the first step .Some people are unwilling or ability to launch conceived case;their actions are limited to theorizing about what steps to take.These people are afraid to devote himself to anything and as a result do not take anything.
9. Fear of failure .Fear not get the desired result in the end, it appears to be born as a child.You can encounter a situation when a person abandons a career in the profession, it constitutes a genuine interest in, considering himself "unworthy" of her for some reason.The same story could take place in interpersonal relationships, when the person stops the relationship, not because it does not suit their current state, but fear of the future of their deterioration.However, it can cause a lot of examples where the risk is necessary because the unwillingness or inability to risk turns into lost opportunities as a component of success in life.
10. procrastination from day to day .Procrastination characteristic of the huge mass of people.Almost every one of us from time to time makes like, transferring some work at a later date, while recognizing that it would make it better right now.Procrastination becomes a serious disadvantage when turning into a steady behavioral style.
11. Alienation and the assignment of guilt .Some people believe that the infallible, and are constantly looking for anyone to blame, sometimes trifling, about.In contrast, the other always blame themselves, whatever their role in a real event or set of events that led to a particular crash.This exclusion or, on the contrary, the assignment of guilt can become a serious obstacle to the realization of a person's own intellectual capacities.
12. Excessive regret .All of us from time to time we deplore own shortcomings.When things do not go quite the way we would like, it is difficult not to regret about it, attributing it to their own account.But such regret taking place on a regular basis, performs a strong antiadaptivnuyu function.Sorry about your shortcomings, not only bad for business, but in some cases helps to ensure that people who could provide us with invaluable help, turn away from us.
13. Excessive dependence .Most of the problems faced by the people of it requires a certain degree of independence.However, education often does not provide sufficient person gaining independence necessary later in life, for example, in which a man must usually rely only on our own forces and to seek assistance from others only occasionally.Try to solve the tasks assigned to you by yourself, and if you still need someone to help you, then at least take on full responsibility for the result.Do not shift the responsibility on others, which is really entrusted to you.
14. Exaggeration personal problems .Every person has personal problems of the order, but their severity varies greatly from person to person.In some tragedies in life are replaced by the tragedy, others life seems serene and almost devoid of any kind was the difficulties and problems.During his lifetime, everyone should be expected as the greatest joys, and at least the major hassles and troubles.It is important to be realistic and to those, and others.Major life crises almost always affect the work you do, whether you like it or not.It is best to take it for granted, not allowing, however, the personal problems of the whole to absorb your attention to the detriment of the case.It should be remembered that the presence of such problems, the work, as well as the society around you may be the comfort that you need.It is wrong to attempt to turn away from personal problems, one way or another will have to decide.The same goes wrong man, let your personal problems to absorb all his time.
15. Lack of concentration .You can specify a lot of people with high intelligence, which for a long time are not able to focus on one and the same.They are easily distracted, a long period of continuous attention to them is relatively small.As a result, it is difficult to perform a more or less significant amount of work.If you suffer from distractions and have difficulty concentrating, you should think of the proper organization of the workplace to minimize the effect of distractions.
16. Too narrow or too wide distribution of its forces .People able to concentrate their forces only on any one activity, it should be aware of this, and especially its possible to resist it.If you are involved in several projects at the same time, try to allocate their time and attention, and organize projects so that it was possible to complete them within a reasonable time.It is important to ensure proper distribution of different activities for themselves.Do not do more or less of what you are able to cope in a given period of time.
17. Failure to defer compensation or recognition .People tend to deal with minor cases to the detriment of more important.Some simply lay large case for later, others are not willing to postpone reward.They get satisfaction when others praise and reward them for the performance of minor cases, and forget about the larger reward, which would correspond to larger matters.Serious work sometimes involves a large expenditure of time and effort before results will be obtained.If you're not ready for this, and prefer to take only for a small short-term projects, keep in mind that there is a risk of getting an equally fleeting recognition.
18. The inability or unwillingness of the private entity to notice .In my lifetime I have met students with very high intelligence, which, however, is not very successful in their studies due to the fact that "the trees of the forest have not seen."They take extreme detail, and they are not able or do not want to see the big picture, which is behind all of the details, and accordingly deal with it.Think well over what the meaning of those things which you are currently working on, and what kind of results are going to come.Otherwise, you risk not only losing their original purpose, but the essence of strategy to ensure their achievement.
19. The lack of balance between critical-analytical and synthetic thinking creatively .At times in our lives, we have to apply critical and analytical thinking;sometimes you should use creative and to think synthetically.It is only important to know the appropriate time.
20. over- or under-confidence .Each of us is necessary for normal life have a decent reserve of confidence.Life can cause many blows to self-esteem of man and his view of himself, without confidence it would be really difficult in the face of large and small failures that prepares us for life.Lack of confidence leads some people to the fact that they can not properly deal with their tasks, as projected on their own doubts job.Self-confidence is very often an important key to success.In the end, if you do not have confidence in yourself, how can you expect from others confidence in you?
At the same time it is important not to overstate the confidence.People with too high self-confidence to lose the ability to recognize when to admit a mistake or do something for their own improvement.As a result of the progress of such people is much slower than it is objectively possible.
This article described the twenty potential pitfalls that hamper a person to come to a full realization of his mental faculties.To summarize, I would say that the most important thing for a person is not the level of intelligence, and what he can achieve through the intellect.And the most important task in understanding and improving the intelligence I would call a full realization of intellectual potential that each of us has.
Author: Robert J.. Sternberg (Robert J. Sternberg), a professor of psychology and education at Yale University
Articles Source: iteam.ru